Are you feeling like this relaxed after a long weekend? =)
This emoji rabbit and dog are 'Milk' and 'Merry' from an app called 'Between'. To be honest, I wasn't aware of them until I got this request. My friend wanted to surprise her boyfriend with this cake for his birthday!! So sweet right?
The base is a yummy yuzu chiffon cake, one of my favorite flavors!!
Yuzu Chiffon Cake (9-inch tube pan)
6 egg yolks (I used 60g eggs with shell)
36g castor sugar
78 g vegetable/corn oil
118g hot water
3.75 tbsp yuzu marmalade or honey citron tea
120g Prima cake flour
Pinch of salt
8 egg whites
¼ tsp cream of tartar
70g castor sugar
1. Make yuzu tea by stirring in 3 ¾ tbsp of yuzu marmalade in 118g hot water. Filter the tea to remove the bits. Leave to cool.
2. Preheat oven to 160°C. Prepare a shallow pan of water under the lowest rack (optional). *I use steam baking to control oven heat and for moister texture but it is optional.
3. Beat egg yolks with sugar with whisk till pale and light before stirring in oil and yuzu tea.
4. Add in sieved flour and salt in 2 additions and whisk till no trace of flour found.
5. Prepare meringue:
a. In a grease-free, dry metal bowl, using electric mixer, whisk egg whites with cream of tartar till frothy.
b. Add in ½ castor sugar for meringue and whisk at high speed till soft peaks form.
c. Add in rest of the castor sugar for meringue and whisk till firm peaks form, or just to the point of reaching stiff peaks.
6. Gently fold meringue into egg yolk batter 1/3 at a time.
7. Fill the chiffon pan leaving 2.5 cm from the top, gently tap to remove air bubbles.
8. Bake at 160°C for 15 min, 150°C for 10 min, 140°C for 20 min, 130°C for 15 min, or until skewer inserted into centre of cake comes out clean.
*This is what I used, but it is just a guide as individual internal oven temperatures vary.
9. Allow to cool completely on wire rack inverted.
10. Gently unmould by hand after cake has completely cooled (see video tutorial).
*For the green patch, I spooned out 8 tsp of egg yolk batter and added green food coloring (I used PME natural green). Then I folded 16 tbsp meringue into the green batter. I spooned it at the base of the pan before adding the yuzu batter.
*You can use the same recipe for a 7-inch tube pan, by dividing all ingredients by two.
For Milk and Merry, I baked chiffon cake in a glass bowl for head, 5-cm cake pop mold for body, and using swissrolls (sliced into 2) for the limbs.
Blessed week ahead!