Tuesday 4 October 2016

Pikachu and Pokeball Macarons (Children's Day Special)

I have been really busy so pardon the short posts without detailed steps and recipe. Just to share what I made for my younger kid to share with classmates for Children's Day...

Pikachu and Pokeball macarons filled with dark chocolate ganache!

I had extra macaron shells so I filled some with more adult-friendly filling for my friends - lavendar Earl grey white chocolate ganache.

I used the reduced-sugar macaron shell recipe. You may refer to my Pokemon macarons post on how the Pikachu shells were done.

You may refer to this post for a detailed write-up about the reduced sugar macaron shell recipe, my Creative Baking: Macarons book for a systematic approach of presenting the basics to fancy shaped macarons, this post for video tutorials of macaron basics and this post for video tutorials of piping complex shaped objects.

Although the Pokeball looks simple, it's actually not that easy to get neat borders for every single macaron shell. Pikachu head is easier to pipe. Here's how I pipe the top shells...

Pipe white batter followed by red batter. Use a toothpick to nudge the edges such that each colour form a semicircle.

Don't worry if the line in the middle is not perfectly straight. The black line in the middle will hide it. Remember to bang the tray on the table.

Whole tray of shells!

Decorate the Pokeball shells either with royal icing or melted chocolate if you wish. I used royal icing

Some of the extra macarons were meant for my friends and I filled them with lavendar Earl grey white chocolate ganache.

Instead of making my own dried lavendar flower powder to flavour the filling, I simply infused the cream for making the ganache with lots of lavendar flowers.


You may refer to this post for the recipe for Earl grey white chocolate ganache.

Filling with lavendar Earl grey white chocolate ganache

Filling with dark chocolate ganache

All packed!

These fillings can withstand room temperature storage for 2-3 days so they are perfect as gifts.

What did I make for my elder kid's class, you may ask. He requested for some simple scones that I made twice for his class last year and everyone loved it so much that he is requesting for it again!

Simple fresh cream scones made without egg or butter.


With lots of love,
Phay Shing

No comments:

Post a Comment