Friday 22 July 2016

Descendants of the Sun Plush Toy Macarons with Lemon Filling

I seldom have the capacity or motivation to bake items for fun unless I have the compulsion to make them. This bake is one of them :). It's for a special friend whom I come to know because of macarons, lemon curd and the ever popular K-drama Descendants of the Sun. What better way to do something special for a friend than to combine the things that came up during our blossoming friendship than this creation!

Fox and rabbit plush toy macarons with lemon white chocolate ganache and lemon curd!

I am not a fan of dramas in general because I don't have the time for them but got hooked on watching this one so I got to know about the comrade and the girlfriend ;).

You may refer to this post for the generic recipe for both reduced sugar and non-reduced sugar versions of macaron shells. I used the regular non-reduced sugar version due to the complexity of the design. Reduced sugar shells tend to take a longer time to dry.

You may refer to my Creative Baking: Macarons book for more tips, or refer to the video tutorials for macaron basics and piping complex shapes

Just to share some photos of the process...


Piping the shells!

Freshly baked shells!

The most challenging part about decorating the shells is the camou pattern of the uniforms. I used edible black, brown and green markers to create the patterns. Make use of the brown and black markers to deepen the green such that it appears less neon. Begin with the black patches, followed by the brown and finally the green.



I was actually working on assembling some cupcakes, baking some Miffy shortbread cookies and decorating Snoopy and Charlie Brown macarons (my friend requested for these macarons as well) before I worked on these fellas. I was pretty exhausted by then so I could only manage to finish decorating some of them...

Day 1 of deco!

After a good night's rest I was more able to finish it off!

Take a peek at the feet!

My friend was joking about what I would do with so many leftover egg yolks from baking macarons so the topic of lemon curd came up since it's one way of using up excess egg yolks :).

You may find the recipe for lemon white chocolate ganache and lemon curd over here. Replace lime with lemon.

As lemon curd has a high liquid content, you may want to insulate the curd with something else that has a higher fat content such as buttercream or ganache. Otherwise the shells will turn soggy faster. If you are consuming the macarons soon, you may fill them with pure lemon curd. The whipped ganache holds up very well in Singapore's hot weather so it's good as an insulating layer.

Pipe a thin layer of ganache covering the base of bottom shell, then pipe a wall of ganache to contain the curd.

Fill the wells with lemon curd. Pipe a little ganache over the curd before sandwiching top shell on.

All of them filled with lemon flavoured filling as requested :)

This has got to be classified as one of those "too cute to eat!" bakes :p.


With lots of love,
Phay Shing

10 comments:

  1. Wow ! Gosh! So many cute little Captain Yoo Si-jin. Lol ... Cuteness to the max. Thanks for sharing these lovely and amazing creations, Phay Shing ^-^!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen for your encouragement 😘. I really had fun with these :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Phay Shing Tan! I just received my book today and what a pleasant surprise! I was not expecting until October but I absolutely love it. You and your site have made me so much more confident in baking and being creative! I wanted to say thank you so much for sharing and inspiring us home bakers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christy,
      what a pleasant surprise for me too to receive such an encouraging message when I check my emails at 6am in the morning! Thank you for your kind words of encouragement :). Keep up the passion and your imagination will be the only thing (...well..almost :p) that limits what you can come up with.

      Delete
  3. Hi Phay Shing, the link for the lemon curd brings me to a site for creating blog. Possible to correct it so I can learn the curd receipe?
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy,
      My apologies! I have changed to the correct recipe link. Actually it can be found in my Creative Baking: Macarons book too. Thanks for pointing out the error 😘

      Delete
  4. Hi, I have tried to make the lemon curd fillings accordingly your recipe book, but it came out too watery. I don't know why, how to fix it? Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheryl,
      Chances are you didn't cook the curd long enough. Do be patient and take time to keep stirring over low heat. You may use a candy thermometer to monitor the temperature but I don't use it when making the curd. Temperature should reach 76.7°C before you remove from heat.
      I hope this helps :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Sheryl!
    Can I have the link or maybe a pdf file of your template of this? I would like to share these macarons to my friend- who is a die-hard fan of k-drama and specifically DOST. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      It's Phay Shing here :). You may refer to this link for reference picture.
      http://m.ebay.com/itm/Descendants-of-the-Sun-SongJoongKi-Fox-and-Rabbit-Plush-Toy-Stuffed-Doll-/152089598327?_trkparms=aid%253D222007%2526algo%253DSIC.MBE%2526ao%253D1%2526asc%253D20150519202348%2526meid%253Dd87a258a3f624f568484a755fd05799a%2526pid%253D100408%2526rk%253D4%2526rkt%253D25%2526sd%253D131867659865&_trksid=p2056116.c100408.m2460

      Delete