Sunday 14 September 2014

Peppa Pig Chiffon Cake


As I type this, the cute "Peppa Pig" jingle rings in my head :D. This chiffon cake is made for someone who loves Peppa Pig. I was really excited to try this too because I think Peppa Pig is sooo cute!! My kids love it too and I totally dig their British accent hehe.

This is one of my most challenging cakes thus far because it involves a lot of free hand cake cutting and carving (my first being so involved). I baked 3 pink cakes (vanilla chiffon cake in bowl and layers) of different shades and cut out the face and facial features with a combination of cutters (where suitable e.g. eyes) and knife (for face, dress and hands etc. where no cutters were suitable). The ears were made my rolling the chiffon layer cake swissroll-style.

The Peppa Pig is standing on a green grass field made of .. you guessed it... pandan chiffon cake, the "original" chiffon cake! I used both fresh pandan juice (you must have this for a good pandan chiffon!) and store-bought pandan paste (for colour and flavour) for the chiffon cake.

Pandan chiffon cake (17cm chiffon tin)
3 egg yolks
20g sugar
39g vegetable oil
24 ml coconut milk
11 ml pandan juice
2 ml vanilla extract
5 ml pandan paste
60g cake flour
A pinch of salt

Meringue:
4 egg whites
45g sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar

Method:
1. Prepare fresh pandan juice by blending fresh pandan leaves (10-15 leaves cut into small pieces, omitting the tips) with 50 ml water. Strain with a sieve and press out all the liquid with a spoon.


2. Preheat oven at 160°C.
3. Beat egg yolks with sugar with whisk till pale yellow before stirring in oil, coconut milk and pandan juice.
4. Add in sieved flour and salt and whisk till no trace of flour found.
5. Meringue: Beat the egg whites with ¼ tsp cream of tartar till stiff peak, mixing in caster sugar in 2 additions.
6. Fold in the meringue gently into the batter 1/3 at a time.
7. Scoop the batter into the chiffon tin.
8. Gently tap the tin on table 3x to remove air bubbles
9. Bake the cake for 15 min at 160°C then 30 min at 150°C.
10. Invert immediately once out of the oven to cool
11. Unmould after the cake is cool.

My "green grass field", filled with marshmallows flowers for a hidden surprise!


All the chiffon cake parts were stuck on using melted marshmallows. That's my Peppa Pig on the grass field with her trademark lovely smile!


Thank God the cake was well-received and everyone liked it! :)

With love,
Susanne

9 comments:

  1. Susanne, this Peppa Pig chiffon cake is simply amazing and awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cheryl!! Happy belated birthday to your daughter!

      Delete
  2. This cake looks SUPER cute I must say.. Thanks a lot for sharing <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. so cute....
    Susanne, for peppa pig, may i know if you use the same recipe with the base or use your rainbow chiffon cake recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oops sorry, after I re-read, I found out you have put the link for pink chiffon cake. thanks a lot for sharing, Sussane.

      Delete
  4. May I know if I can order this cake from you for my girl sat birthday? You are really amazingly creative. Can email me at Jeffreycindy7780@hotmail.con

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi if cake is for this Sat, I'm afraid it's too late. Very sorry about it. Thanks!

      Delete