Friday 14 February 2014

Valentine's Day Hearts-in-all-directions Strawberry Chiffon Cake


Valentine's day was around the corner and I wanted to make a special cake filled with hearts everywhere! I had been toying with the idea of hidden hearts in cakes ever since I saw it done on pound cakes but was afraid that the hidden chiffon cake would end up being overbaked and hard since chiffons were so delicate. Then came ssb baker's wonderful post on hidden heart chiffon cake (a big thank you!)! Immediately, it got me excited to try a 3D hearts cake with hearts not only on top, around, but also on the inside!

I modified the "double-baked" technique to pattern both the top and sides of the cake. This was an experiment as I had not seen this being used to pattern the exterior of cakes before, especially chiffons. If successful, it would open a whole new pathway for bakers who are not good at piping!

The cake was full of hearts in all directions in every slice! The cut-out layer cake was also still very soft.

This is thus far my favourite cake! Because it embodies lots of love, thoughts and efforts into the cake. And because it was made with someone special in mind!

Posted with lots of love,
Susanne

Recipe is now in Creative Baking: Chiffon Cakes, out at all major bookstores now!





No comments:

Post a Comment